SEO for Law Firm Marketing in 2021
If you’re a regular reader of our blog, you know that SEO is an essential marketing tool for your law firm. To be successful in the world of search engine strategy, you have to keep up with the ever-changing world of Google, et al. Search algorithm changes were already happening routinely, but with a heightened focus on the online world in 2020 due to the pandemic, changes have been even more frequent and important than ever. To help you keep up with it all, we put together this SEO for law firm marketing update for 2021. This update highlights a few of the most vital updates that have happened or are set to happen in 2021. Let’s dive in!
1. Page Speed Is More Important Than Ever
In May 2020, Google announced three new metrics, called “Core Web Vitals.” These are all related to how fast your web pages load, and they measure the quality of your website user experience (if people wait a long time for websites to load, it’s not a good experience). The metrics are:
1. Loading – The measurement of perceived page load speed; it marks the probable point that the page’s primary content has completely loaded. (Example: the amount of time it takes you to be able to clearly read the first paragraph of a webpage)
2. Interactivity – The measurement of responsiveness of a page by quantifying a user’s experience when trying to first interact with the page. (Example: the amount of time it takes before a user can click on a menu item or clickable phone number)
3. Visual Stability – The quantification of visual layout shifts once the page is loaded. (Example – when you’re reading an article online and suddenly the page scrolls making you lose your place and have to scroll back to it)
In May 2021, there will be an increased focus on these metrics within the algorithm. Websites that prioritize page speed functions will win the first page results.
2. Google Launched a New Algorithm Called BERT
Google has a habit of naming its algorithms. We’ve had a whole zoo of names from the Panda update to the Penguin update. BERT is the newest one, and it uses machine learning and natural language processing to better understand search intent in an effort to display the results that Google users are actually looking for. Basically, BERT is more conversational than its older counterparts, and its primary purpose is to understand basic searcher intent. This means that law firm content should put the user first and provide value above all else. Keyword stuffing (creating content just to repeat certain keywords numerous times in an effort to get search engine ranking) is out with BERT.
Here are a few tips to create highly valuable content that puts your client first:
1. Know your audience – What kind of content does your potential client want to see? What burning questions are they asking after the inciting incident that will ultimately cause them to need an attorney?
2. Be the expert – Often a potential client goes online first to research their specific legal situation before contacting an attorney. Be the expert they need within your website and blog.
3. Be authentic – Being authentic and conversational is going to go a long way with BERT. That’s what the new algorithm is set up to do, after all. So, talk like your client. Don’t use a ton of legal jargon that you’d have to have a law degree to understand.
Need help crafting a content strategy that will help you win over BERT? Contact our SEO company in Florida today! Oamii is here to help you be found online.
3. The Key Is Keyword Research
Keyword research has always been a fairly important piece of the SEO puzzle. Now, keyword research is “do or be lost in the search results.” This increased focus is due to the fact that over 50 percent of searches are “zero-click results.” This means that over half of online searches end without any clicks to websites. This is because of features like Google business listings, featured snippets, and related questions. These features can help you if you have the right keywords (based on the searcher’s intent) and they are where they need to be on your website.
Not sure where to start on keyword research? We’d love to help you.
4. No Plagiarism Allowed
The search engines have always demanded original content if websites want to rank in relevant search engine results, and this will continue to be enforced. Websites that copy and paste actually get SEO points taken off. Be wary of overdone blog topics and other forms of unhelpfully repetitive content. Why would someone choose your search result over another identical result? It’s about standing out with valuable content that is written for your clients. Some great ideas for original, high-quality content include case studies, white papers, client testimonials, company updates, frequently asked questions pages, and video content. For high-quality content that keeps your search engine presence in mind, contact Oamii, an SEO company in Floirda today.
5. Raise Your Voice Search
Voice search has been increasingly popular over the last decade. People use it on their smartphones, in their cars, with Alexa, etc. Being optimized for voice search also ensures that you are ADA compliant, meaning people with disabilities can access your website, too. WordStream reported that more than half of all smartphone users used voice search technology in 2020 in the following ways:
1. To ask a general question
2. To call someone
3. To ask for directions
4. To find general information about local businesses
Users who use voice search are very specific in their inquiries, typically using detailed longtail keyword phrases (longer, more specific keyword phrases). This means voice search users are very likely closer to the bottom of the funnel and ready to convert. As voice search gets smarter, more users will begin to use it more often. For attorneys, this means instilling law firm name recognition within the community, ensuring all phone numbers, addresses and business hours are correct on Google and your website, and including relevant keywords where needed.
6. Push Play on Video Marketing
YouTube is the most popular search engine after Google. YouTube videos also show up within Google search results. This is another area that you have the opportunity to show up in when your ideal clients search for you. In 2021, 87 percent of video marketers report seeing a positive ROI from video marketing efforts, according to a Hubspot report. Not sure where to start? Check out our five-step guide to law firm video marketing. To start benefiting from video marketing within your SEO strategy, here are a few things you can do now:
1. Optimize your YouTube channel – This means ensuring all information is correct (your law firm name, website links, etc), you have relevant keywords on your channel and you link to related content.
2. Include transcripts with your videos – This makes your video more accessible to larger audiences, and it helps search engine bots scrape your site for relevant content.
3. Make sure your thumbnail images are engaging – This is all about the clicks. A user is much more likely to click on an interesting, attractive thumbnail, rather than a blurry one.
Consult Our SEO Agency Today
Ready to benefit from SEO in 2021? We’re ready to help you do it! Our expert SEO company in Florida will take you from invisible to visible this year. Let us help you really capitalize on your marketing effort. Contact us by filling out our online form, or giving us a call at 561-228-4111.